I. Study background and aims:
After obtaining approval from the research ethics committee (TH-IRB-0022-0021) for the human study, 20 male and female participants aged 20-65 with oily dandruff-prone scalp were recruited. The patented test method of MacroHi Co., Ltd and Scalp X scalp quantitation analysis system were utilized to evaluate the efficacy of the products. Participants were asked to use juliArt Exfoliating Liquid Shampoo, juliArt Dandruff Relief Shampoo, and juliArt Dandruff Relief Restorer, after which the anti-dandruff efficacy of the products was assessed. A questionnaire for the assessment of product experience was filled in by participants after the trial.
II. Materials and methods
Devices and equipment
Scalp X scalp quantitative analysis system
- For individuals between the ages of 20-65 with oily dandruff, a review can be conducted using the Scalp X scalp quantitative analysis system. This system enables the capture of images of the scalp, aiding in the identification of dandruff that is caused by oily skin and accumulates in large clumps on the scalp and hair roots, indicating the presence of oily dandruff.
- Subjects that were willing to sign the informed consent form.
- The enrollment site was MacroHi Ltd.
- Individuals who are under 20 years of age or over 65 years of age
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women
- Participants who are currently receiving scalp drug treatment as prescribed by their doctor are excluded. Additionally, individuals who have previously taken part in the testing of other products during the study period are not eligible to participate.
- Individuals with skin allergies
- Those without oily dandruff after evaluation
- Based on thorough discussions, those with anticipated extensive late-night work and irregular sleep patterns during the test period
- Users with known allergies to Glycyrrhetinic Acid Complex and Sodium Usnate
Testing site and environment:
Study period: Outdoor temperature of 18℃-33.6℃ according to the announcement by the Central Weather Bureau of Taiwan
City/region: Zhonghe District, New Taipei City. MacroHi Co., Ltd.
Device test condition and methods:
- Device: The Scalp X scalp quantitative analysis system is designed specifically for scalp inspections. It uses a detection device lens to capture images of the scalp at 500x magnification and record its current condition. This software has a high resolution of up to 2592×1944 with 5 million pixels, and it can magnify up to 200x with its built-in 6 adjustable white LED lights. With high active pixel technology, it can capture clear images with accurate colors, greatly reducing the chance of misjudgments. Compared to other inspection devices, the 500-pixel color and luminance are more in line with the actual scalp conditions. This scalp detection system has obtained invention patents in Taiwan and China (Invention No. I562757).
- Settings: The recording process involves taking shots using fixed-point coordinates. The top point of the head (T.P.) is extended forward to the center point (C.P.), backward to the neck point (N.P.), and then extended left and right to the ear points (E.P.) as illustrated in Figure 2. The scalp is divided into four sections (A, B, C, D), and a single photo of each section is taken to examine the scalp. The selection will be based on a non-categorical or single-categorical grouping approach. juliArt Exfoliating Liquid Shampoo, juliArt Dandruff Relief Shampoo, and juliArt Dandruff Relief Restorer are used a non-categorical or single-categorical grouping approach. Before product application, a scalp test will be conducted to assess the sensitivity of the test product, followed by 3-day, 7-day, and 14-day scalp testing at the research facility.
- Patch Test: The Patch Test measures sensitivity by applying the juliArt Exfoliating Liquid Shampoo, juliArt Dandruff Relief Shampoo, and juliArt Dandruff Relief Restorer to the inside of the hand for 24 hours. Participants must exhibit no allergies or sensitivity within that time frame to be considered. In case of redness or swelling, the Project Lead will ensure prompt medical treatment until full recovery.
- Long-term efficacy experiment: After confirming the absence of sensitivity through a patch test, participants will undergo a 14-day long-term evaluation using the Scalp X scalp quantitative analysis system at the research facility. Participants will complete a questionnaire upon completion of the trial. The Scalp X scalp quantitative analysis system will be used to record scalp imaging data.
- Usage instructions: The subject is to use the product at home.
Oily Dandruff ECHO System
Step 1: Apply juliArt Exfoliating Liquid Shampoo evenly to the scalp when the hair is dry, once every seven days, rub for 1-2 minutes, and rinse thoroughly with water. Here are the complete ingredients of juliArt Exfoliating Liquid Shampoo: Aqua, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Decyl Glucoside, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, 1, 3-Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Panthenol, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Sodium Chloride, Juniperus Communis (Juniper Berry) Fruit Oil, Menthol, Plain Caramel, Polygonum Multiflorum Root Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis Seed Extract, Disodium EDTA, Polyethylene Glycol Stearate, Polyquaternium-10, Butyl Avocadate, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Ginger Tincture (Zingiber Cassumunar Root Extract), Glycolic Acid, Laurus Nobilis (Bay leaf) Leaf Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Oleth-12, Organic Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Powder), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil.
Step 2: Use the juliArt Dandruff Relief Shampoo and gently massage it for 1-2 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water until all the foam is removed. Here are the complete ingredients of juliArt Dandruff Relief Shampoo : Aqua, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Chloride, 1, 3-Butylene Glycol, Citrus Grandis Seed Extract, Glycerin, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Juniperus Communis (Juniper Berry) Fruit Oil, Niacinamide, Oleth-12, Panthenol, Plain Caramel, Polygonum Multiflorum Root Extract, Propylene Glycol, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Extract, Amino Acid (Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein), Cetearyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-10, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Citric Acid, Sodium Usnate, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, Ginger Tincture (Zingiber Cassumunar Root Extract), Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Menthol, Organic Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Powder), Polyethylene Glycol Stearate, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Vitamin E (α-Tocopherol)
Step 3: Blow dry the scalp until it’s 80% dry, then apply juliArt Dandruff Relief Restorer to the scalp, massaging it in with fingertips until it’s fully absorbed. Finally, use the blow dryer to dry the scalp and hair completely. Here are the complete ingredients of juliArt Dandruff Relief Restorer: Ethanol, Aqua, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, 1, 3-Butylene Glycol, Citrus Grandis Seed Extract, Glycerin, Menthol, Niacinamide, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Amino Acid (Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein), Citric Acid, , Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Oleth-12, Organic Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Powder), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Vitamin E (α-Tocopherol) (0.1%), Zingibar Officinale (Ginger) Oil.
- Participant Scalp Check:
On the day of the scalp test, participants will enter the research facility and rest briefly for 10 minutes with the temperature maintained at a comfortable 25℃. To ensure optimal test results, the participants must have cleaned their scalp the day prior and follow the product’s instructions before arriving. After the 10-minute rest period, the scalp check will commence.
- A questionnaire for the assessment of product experience: After the trial period concludes, every participant is required to complete a questionnaire that gathers data anonymously.
Evaluation and statistical analysis
- Evaluation Method: In this study, we will collect scalp images of participants to rate six indicators on a 0-10 scale. A score of 0 indicates no dandruff, while 10 indicates severe dandruff, as illustrated in the image below.
- Statistical methods:
The researchers recorded the scores by examining the dandruff condition on the scalp of the subjects in four different areas (A, B, C, and D). The dandruff scores obtained before the treatment were set as the control group. Higher scores imply a more severe dandruff condition. ※The dandruff improvement rate (%) was calculated by using the formula: (absolute value before use-absolute value after use)/absolute value before use *100% (Chao Kuan Lee，2014).
III. The safety and effectiveness of products containing Glycyrrhetinic Acid Complex and Sodium Usnate on the scalp condition of individuals with oily dandruff.
- 20 participants’ scalp conditions were recorded using the Scalp X Scalp quantitative analysis system.
- The absolute values of area A, B, C, and D affected by oily dandruff in 20 participants before and after using the product and evaluate the improvement rate.
- Experimental Results
Scalp dandruff improvement rate
- Product satisfaction survey through statistical questionnaires
A. Scalp Assessment Survey
B. The sensory experience after using shampoo wash
C. Degree of recognition for improving scalp issues
D. What do you observe as the most significant change to your scalp after using juliArt dandruff relief products?
- Alleviating dandruff condition.
- Itchiness tends to be less of an issue during seasonal transitions.
- The scalp is less oily, dandruff is reduced, and itchiness is decreased.
- 1. Once washed and rinsed, hair takes longer to feel greasy and flatten. 2. There was a small, red and rough patch on the scalp that disappeared after using the product. 3. The noticeable reduction in hair loss speaks for itself. 4. Having voluminous and luscious hair after a good wash feels amazing. Washed hair is visibly more flowing and graceful.
- Relief from itching and dandruff.
- The scalp feels much cleaner, with reduced dandruff and itchiness. I feel the difference when I run your fingertips across it.
- The scalp is now better at oil control, and there’s a noticeable reduction in dandruff.
- Scalp flakes reduced and noticed less itchiness upon washing.
- The condition of dandruff on my scalp has significantly improved.
- A reduction in keratin levels.
- The scalp is odorless and itch-free, promoting healthy and luscious hair without frizz.
- There is a reduction in dandruff.
- The scalp feels clean and healthy.
- The scalp is less prone to redness, itchiness, and dandruff.
- The stays clean without any flakes, showing no signs of redness, swelling, or itching.
- The scalp tends to be less susceptible to discomfort.
- The dandruff problem is gone!
- The issue of dandruff disappears, and the sensation of itching reduces.
E. We would appreciate it if you could share your experience with us regarding the dandruff products you have used in the past. Did you find them effective or not?
- Yes. After washing, it doesn’t feel as fresh and clean.
- Yes. I did not notice any significant change after using the product.
- Yes. After washing, the skin can feel quite dry. I had to replace the brand of products frequently due to this issue.
- Yes. I’ve tried Amway before, but unfortunately, it wasn’t suitable for daily use as it left my scalp feeling uncomfortable even after washing.
- Yes. But they did nothing to improve my scalp conditions.
- Yes. Head＆Shoulders delivers noticeable results in just 1-2 days. While I prefer other brands for everyday use, I turn to Head & Shoulders when necessary.
This study utilized the Scalp X quantitative analysis system from MacroHi Ltd. to evaluate the efficacy of juliArt’s Exfoliating Liquid Shampoo, Dandruff Relief Shampoo, and Dandruff Relief Restorer products in reducing dandruff in 20 participants. Here are the test results:
After 3 days, the average improvement rate for dandruff amelioration is 48.31%. In 7 days, it increases to 60.56%, and after 14 days, it significantly rises to 74.10%. These results demonstrate the effectiveness of juliArt Exfoliating Liquid Shampoo, juliArt Dandruff Relief Shampoo, and juliArt Dandruff Relief Restorer in improving dandruff condition.
According to our product satisfaction survey, 60% of users expressed being extremely satisfied, with an additional 40% reporting satisfaction with the overall performance. 60% of respondents strongly confirmed the effectiveness of the product in reducing scalp itchiness, with 35% indicating it was agreeable. Furthermore, 65% of participants highly praised the product for its ability to alleviate scalp irritation, with 25% agreeing to some extent. With regards to improving scalp conditions, 70% of the testers confirmed the product’s effectiveness, while 30% found it agreeable.
- Chao Kuan Lee (2014)。 Assessments of the Facial Mask Materials in Skin Care。 Department of Cosmetic Science Chia Nan University of Pharmacy and Science- Thesis for the Degree of Master. 1-104
- Bonaparte, J. P., Ellis, D., & Chung, J. (2013). The effect of probe-to-skin contact force on Cutometer MPA 580 measurements. J Med Eng Technol, 37(3), 208-212.
- Pei-Fang Kuo, Pi-Fen Cheng, Hui-Zhu Chen, Tsai-Fan Wang (2021)。
Perioperative Nursing Experience of Caring for a Middle-Aged Adult Having Taken Hair Transplantation Surgery for the Second Time. 20(6) 130-140
- Hsiao-Chi Wang, Chii-Shyan Wang, Shu-Chen Hsieh, Yu-Ting Hung, Hsuan-Hsiang Chen. Evaluation of a new-formula shampoo containing 6% Glycyrrhetinic Acid Complex for scalp seborrheic dermatitis: A pilot study.